Over the past several months most of you know that we have been focusing on the movement to label GMOs. It occurred to me that many of our new fans and customers that found us through the Non-GMO Project or the Non-GMO Shopping Guide more then likely are not aware of the vast amount of benefits our products have to offer. If you think they taste good, you'll be thrilled with the standards used in making them.
Joy Schrock President - Berlin Natural Bakery
What's in your daily bread? Check out what's in ours!
Our production standards are based upon several decades of research and experience. We do not change our products to meet the standards of the latest trends or fads. We stay true to the mission. What is that mission? It’s very simple…to produce heirloom spelt products that you can trust. Products that are made with ingredients that you can pronounce, easily recognize, and that taste great. Sounds easy? Check out the steps we go through to make your loaf of bread.
1. Contracts are negotiated with small independent farmers throughout Germany.
2. Soil preparation and crop rotation standards are set, farmers are well trained and their farms are inspected.
3. Genuine German certified spelt seed is planted. Our German spelt grain is an Heirloom variety that is "protected." In the rare event that a shipment is delayed, only U.S. Certified Organic spelt grain is used to ensure our products remain free of chemical pesticides and herbicides as well free of GMOs
4. Farm equipment is cleaned and inspected to ensure no cross contamination: seeder, combine and trucks.
5. Routine farm inspections are done to ensure no chemical pesticides and herbicides are being being used and that the quality standards of the spelt grain are being met.
6. Genuine German Spelt is harvested and tested to ensure that it is free from chemical pesticides and herbicides
7. Genuine German spelt grain is stored in its tight outer hull, in a separate stand alone facility that has never been used to store other grains. This facility is cooled and air blown…ensuring the grain does not become susceptible to mold or pests.
8. The spelt is de-hulled upon demand of shipment. Equipment used in de-hulling is only used for Genuine German Spelt.
9. The grain is packaged and shipped in a sanitized and inspected container.
Dr. Franck and his staff oversee the entire process of our Genuine German Spelt grain…from certified seed production …till it reaches our doors. Their standards are so high, they can literally trace a bag of grain to the field or the lot in which it was grown. Now it’s our turn:
1. The spelt grain arrives at Berlin Natural Bakery. It is stored in coolers until milled.
2. We stone grind the grain daily on site at the bakery.
3. The flour we stone grind today…is used to produce the products we bake tomorrow. Our flour is not stored for months, which ensures no rancidity or susceptibility to pests.
4. Our stone grinding method allows us to preserve the whole grain. We lose less than 1/2 of 1% during our milling process.
5. We bake only small batch breads. We do not over work the dough, add dough conditioners, gluten or preservatives. This can only be achieved by baking small batches. We have highly skilled bakers that oversee the entire baking process to ensure consistency and quality of every product.
6. Our products are double bagged for freshness.
7. Baked and shipped fresh daily.
8. Our bakery holds the highest Kosher Certification “Orthodox Union”.
9. Our breads were the first to become Non-GMO Project Verified.
Isn’t it amazing what all we go through to produce a loaf of bread? Fortunately we didn’t have to meet these standards overnight. Many of them have been established and implemented over the years due to our never ending need to know the truth and to do what is right…regardless if it’s what is easy.
Many of you may not even care about these standards and fortunately for you…you don’t have to. You can count on us to continue to do our best to ensure you receive our best.
We know you have a choice regarding the breads and baked goods that you purchase. Thank you for choosing ours!
If you are wondering what bread tasted like that your great grandmother made, click on the link below and check out our online store. Real Heirloom Spelt baked goods, made by real people.
DISCLAIMER: All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being.
The information and opinions expressed here are believed to be accurate, based on the best judgment available to the authors, and readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. In addition, the information and opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of every contributor of Berlin Natural Bakery. Berlin Natural Bakery acknowledges occasional differences in opinion and welcomes the exchange of different viewpoints. The publisher is not responsible for errors or omissions.