What great nutrition should taste like!
We know that good health starts with good food and that the best products must start with the best ingredients. We do our best to ensure that when you buy products with the Berlin Natural Bakery label, that you can do so with confidence.
Never did we anticipate what all we would discover along the way. We share these stories with you, in an effort to help you understand why we believe spelt is the superior grain, why we choose all natural versus organic and our newest fascination with sprouted grains.
We go to great lengths, to ensure that we are providing you with the highest quality and best tasting baked goods available. As you read of our many experiences, you will know that these words are not just a goal, it is what we really do!
We will continue to update this site, as our journey continues and new information becomes available. Thank you for visiting Berlin Natural Bakery's web site and we hope you will stop back again real soon. If you've enjoyed your visit to our site, please share it with a friend.
The Many Nutritional Benefits of Spelt
Due to the lower yields and the expensive equipment needed to remove its tight outer hulls…over the years spelt became less then a favorable crop for farmers and in turn a nearly forgotten grain. Spelt made its comeback in the early 80’s when people with certain types of wheat sensitivities discovered they could eat spelt with no adverse effects. Spelt literally made its reappearance in the U.S. through word of mouth testimonials. Today spelt is recognized throughout the United States as an alternative grain. One that is far superior nutritionally to other common wheat(s). It is no longer sought after only by those with wheat sensitivities.
Spelt in comparison to wheat(s)
- Approximately 30% higher in Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
- Approximately 25% higher in B6
- Approximately 45% higher in Vitamin E
- Higher in unsaturated fatty acids (mainly Linol acid and Linoleen acid) which are important for regeneration of nerve cells.
- It is warming and supports good blood circulation
- It is higher in water solubility, making it easier to digest and aiding in the nutrients being more easily absorbed by the body.
- Approximately 10-25% higher in protein, promoting fitness strength, muscle expansion and endurance. Many endurance athletes find spelt to be invaluable during training.
- It has a higher percentage of Amino Acids
- It has a higher level of L-Tryptophan which in turn promotes and aids in the production of serotonin.
We call spelt the feel good grain. We hear those words time and time again from our customers. We just plain feel good when we eat your products. More than likely that's due to the fact that we don't use ingredients that are altered by anything other then Mother Nature itself.
Our products are all natural with no additives or preservatives. The delicate temperament of this ancient grain requires highly skilled bakers to produce a quality loaf of bread. We bake only small batch breads (100 loaves per batch). Small batch baking yields the highest quality and consistency and if it's great taste you are after, you'll find abundance in every bite.