It has been quite some time since I can remember having such a mild winter like we’ve been experiencing this year here in Ohio. Who would have thought that toward the end of February, we would be having 41 degrees, lots of sunshine and absolutely no snow with tulips and daffodils already peaking up out of the ground.
Hopefully when I write my next recipe blog in another month or so, I’m not talking about how winter has arrived late to the Ohio valley with lots of snow and frigid temperatures. But somehow, I just don’t think that will be the case. Whether above normal temperatures or below normal, the recipes I’m sharing today will hit the spot no matter what the weather is like outside. And both recipes are very easy to make…especially the Cherry Angel Dessert.
Wherever you are, may you also be experiencing much warmth and sunshine this winter…no matter what the weather. Until next time…Happy Baking.
Baked Spelt Penne Pasta Dish
3 cups uncooked Alb-Gold Spelt Penne (approx, 1 ½ pkgs) 1 – ¾ cups spaghetti sauce, divided (with or without meat) - we like more sauce with ours, so I used probably twice as much sauce. 1 cup (8 ozs) cottage cheese 1 – ½ cups (6 ozs) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided 1 egg, lightly beaten 2 tsp dried parsley flakes ½ tsp dried oregano ¼ tsp garlic powder 1/8 tsp pepper Directions
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a tablespoon of salt (or to your taste) and add the spelt penne. Reduce heat and allow pasta to boil for approximately 11 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Stir pasta into cheese mixture.
- In an 8-inch square baking dish, spread ¼ to ½ cup spaghetti sauce. Top with pasta mixture, remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 – 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Cherry Angel Dessert
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened 1 cup confectioners’ sugar 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed (I like to make my own whipped topping using 1 pint of heavy whipping cream, ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar and ½ tsp vanilla) 2 Berlin Natural Bakery Spelt Angel Food cakes, cut into 1-inch cubes 2 cans (21 ounces) cherry pie filling (or whichever pie filling you prefer) Directions * In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; fold in whipped topping and cake cubes. Spread evenly into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; top with pie filling. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares. (Note: when I made this, I only used 1 can of pie filling. It might not have covered the top as completely as two cans would have, but it was still plenty and delicious).
****Don't forget to take advantage of our February Special Offer****
25% OFF - thru Feb. 29th, 2012 - Hurry time is running out
Penne Pasta (White Spelt) - Regular Price $4.39 - Special Price $3.29
White Spelt Breadsticks (par-baked) - Regular Price $5.99 - Special Price $4.49
Chocolate Chip Melt Down Spelt Cookies - Regular Price $5.89 - Special Price $4.42
Spelt Angel Food Cake
- Regular Price $4.19 - Special Price $3.14 As always we offer FREE UPS/FED EX Ground Shipping on orders of $34 or more! VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE